Author Archive: Geraldine Jensen
A motivational speaker can deliver speeches and presentations on any subject matter. However, what counts the most is their limitless passion for a particular subject. You can become one of the top motivational speakers through identifying first your audience and the message you want to address, improving your public speaking skills, and marketing your speaking capabilities.
Identify your audience and message
• Choose a topic that you are comfortable sharing and speaking about. You can speak about engaging to better relationships, being happy and fulfilled, or improving your parenting skills. There are no limits in choosing a topic as long as you can inspire people to act and do something.
• Base your topic on your passions or something you believe and feel strongly about it. It will be challenging to motivate your audience if you do not care about your topic.
• Your message must be timely and relevant. Motivational speeches about pay phones or type writers will be ignored now that you are in the modern times.
• Be an expert of your chosen topic. Your audience expects a lot from you to know about the subject matter of your motivational speech. Study, read more, and stay updated in your field.
• Get to know your audience. Before you get too far in climbing up in your chosen career, understand the needs and wants of your audience. Plus, you have to be aware that different groups of people need to be communicated in various ways.
Improve your public speaking skills
• Enroll in public speaking programs. Check your local community college and other organizations that offer short courses on public speaking. Your goal in taking these classes is to be comfortable in talking and engaging to big groups.
• Record your speeches. This is the best way to evaluate and watch yourself perform. Through watching your performance, you can spot easily the things you need to improve and change.
• Look closely to the details that will motivate you. You definitely want to establish eye contact with your audience. You must start using the proper body language and sound motivational and natural.
• Improve your writing skills as well. Most motivational speakers are also great writers. They are also capable of supporting their speaking engagements with excellent and well written materials. Communication skills are important if you want to become one of the great and effective motivational speakers. When you have the opportunity, write a blog, publish your articles and keep your website updated. Continuous writing will not only enhance your motivational speaking skills but it will also be your avenue to connect with your readers and followers across the globe.
• Choose the best tool to use. Great motivational speakers invest on excellent presentations, large screens and workbooks whenever they deliver their powerful speeches. Ensure that you are going to choose a tool that works best for you that you can easily manage.
Market your speaking capabilities
• Look for a good venue. A motivational speech in an auditorium or a conference hall will be well-received compared to one that is delivered in a basement.
• The venue must be able to hold the size of your target audience. If you aim for an intimate interaction, a too big room will feel empty or a too small place will feel crowded.
• Come up with a marketing plan. Sell tickets at an affordable price. Build your brand through advertising at the local papers, send e-newsletters, and invest on postcards or brochures.
• Ensure to register your name with the speaker’s bureaus. Offer your services to organizers of seminars, conferences, and conventions.
• Encourage your audience to give feedback and testimonial about your speeches.
Make your speeches lively and fun. Encourage audience participation for adult participants. Initiating interaction is the perfect way to remember the activities you have prepared for your audiences.